What it means to have more female teachers than male teachers?
I have had more female teachers than male teachers in my learning phase of life. During my elementary and middle school were more similar than high school and college experience because of the swift from more female teachers to more male teachers in the classroom. Growing up I was more used to having female teachers that were kind and understanding, they kind of resembled a mother figure to me, which was the purpose of Catharine Beecher and Horace Mann. It was not until I went into secondary and higher education that I experienced how male teachers taught core subjects, which was less personal and more informational. I felt like I did not have a personal connection within them in the classroom, like I did with my female teachers. They had their own way of teaching and caring for students that was at an arms length compared to female teachers that created a personal community and connection with their students.
I also think with this way of teaching has created the profession one where connections with students is the most important thing for every teacher to achieve because how else are you impacting your students. I also think that it effects how classroom management has gone from being strict and harsh to one where you need to have understanding and patience with students. It also make it easier for primary education to be a focus for women instead of men, which kind of disadvantage men that want to teach primary education. I also think that it disadvantage women that want to only teach secondary education because we are viewed as super for wanting to teach somewhat grumpy middle schoolers and high school students. I think that their should be an equal amount of teachers for both genders in all levels of education. How do you think we should change the current trend of male teachers in primary education? Did you have the same experience of having more male teachers in high school and college compared to your primary education?
Comments
Post a Comment