Picking Teaching Is Not Easy
Second Choice Can Be The Right Choice
I was never the one to think that becoming a teacher would be the right fit for me. I actually fought against the idea of teaching when I was looking at what jobs I should go after growing up. The main reason is that I did not think that I would be the right fit to teach kids and help them learn things that would make them smart and functioning members of society. I also did not like the fact that teachers are known for teaching their students everything and knowing everything, which I later found out to be a myth among teachers.
I finally gave into the thought of teaching after hearing my friends and some teachers say that I would make a good teacher before and after I was not able to get into McCoy here at Texas State University. After I narrowed down my thoughts to teaching Middle School age kids instead of Elementary and learned how I was able to not have to teach math or science, I was more interested in teaching the future minds of America. It also took the desire to want to be a positive light in these kids life, to be a place where they can express themselves, and becoming the person they can talk to about their personal issues.
Being a teacher is a lot more then lecturing about important wars and events in history or giving standardized test to your students. I believe that being a teacher is being that advocate, mentor, and listener for your students because they sometimes desperately need that in their lives. I will also be able to express my love to history to these kids also and hopefully I can turn half of class into history nerds like me each year. I can want to see how choosing to become a teacher will affect the kids that come into my future classroom because I believe it will be a positive effect.


You said that being a teacher means to be an advocate, mentor and listener for your students. This is something I completely agree with. And, I love history nerds.....:) Welcome.
ReplyDelete