The Limit does not Exists
I believe that becoming a teacher today, it is my job to teach my students the diversity that the world has and that history is not the only way that life went by for people that lived through it. I am hoping to teach history for middle schoolers and I know that history has a one-sided view about others that do not look like the founding fathers.
It is my job to find other resources that come from people of color, different socioeconomic status, and religions that lived through the time periods because their voice matters and my students could relate more to them than white middle-class men that are displayed throughout textbooks. I want to have diverse stories learned about in my classrooms because there is "a danger of a single story," as Chimamanda Adichie talks about in her TED talk. When we give them resources that include a different point of view and style of writing for them to understand that people that have a different life from them and also similar lives to them. Yes, they may be hard to find, but they are necessary for their education and I would differently make sure that it is age appropriate, but I would also ask the parents for their own stories if they come from a different background and countries. This is so I can get a starting point for research and understand of my students. This goes back to the saying that "Community starts at the home," I want to give them the opportunity to speak about what they know about different people in the world and the events of history. Cause history is more 3D than the 1D experience that we are taught from textbooks.
Comments
Post a Comment